In our society, we all have our ear buds, television, computers, radio. This is our connectivity but it is also noise. It makes our minds so busy. I see on the news that a lot of people are doing yoga and meditating to get peace of mind. It was about 122 years ago that the radio was invented. Before that, we didn’t have all the gadgets or noise. We had nature and each other to listen to. We are missing something though…Silence!
When was the last time we took some time and just listened to God? When was the last time we went to the Blessed Sacrament in Adoration and just sat and spoke with God or just sat in silence in His presence? If you truly want peace of mind, go to Adoration or pray. This is so peaceful and easy and free! You don’t have to go to the gym to do this. You can pray anytime. You can go to the chapel and sit in Adoration anytime and it doesn’t have to last an hour; you can do whatever time you have available. Even five minutes makes a huge difference.
So many people are searching for peace in their lives in many different places and frustrated when they can’t find it, or they think they found it but still feel restless deep down. They think peace is in the gym, music, drugs, caffeine, hobbies, traveling, money, or whatever else they occupy their minds with. Peace is not in these things or anything else. St. Augustine wrote in his book, Confessions, “Our heart is restless until it rests in you (God).” He had searched for peace in his young adulthood in adultery, other religions, and sin after sin until he found the Catholic Church and allowed God in his life. His mother, St. Monica, prayed for 17 years for him to return to the Church and the salvation of his soul. She also prayed for her husband and mother-in-law. Her prayers were answered when all three converted and came into the Church. St. Ambrose’s prayers, a bishop, also helped to bring them all into the Church.
Did you know you don’t even have to be Catholic to go to Adoration? If you go, remember proper reverent etiquette:
- to be silent while in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament
- to bow or genuflect on your way in and on your way out
- If you don’t know where to find Adoration in your area, call the nearest Catholic Church and ask.
- If it is not available in your area, you can still go to the Catholic Church and sit before the Tabernacle (look for the candle, usually red, near the gold box or cylinder that is ornate). This is where the Blessed Sacrament is kept. You can still pray before the Tabernacle in Adoration. You can also ask the Church to start Adoration.
- You can either pray, be silent, read a religious book or just speak with God in your thoughts silently. Sometimes, just sitting with Jesus is the best. He knows your heart.
If you are searching for peace in your life, look as close as your nearest Catholic Church. You will find peace in Jesus in the Eucharist/Blessed Sacrament in the Tabernacle of any Catholic Church. This is true peace.
For more posts, click here, or click on menu buttons at the top of the page.